Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Morning Breakfast

What is your favorite recipe? -

As someone who likes food so much, I thought that choosing a favorite recipe was going to be difficult. It wasn't.

I love German pancakes.  I'm not a fan of breakfast in general, unless it's scrambled eggs or an omelette for dinner, but I do love German pancakes.

It may have something to do with the fact that German pancakes hold a lot of happy memories for me. My mom would make German pancakes all the time.  I remember a lot of weekend mornings where she and I sat in the kitchen, drinking tea and talking in our pajamas, all while taking out an entire German pancake. Outside of my parent's front porch, the kitchen table is the epitome of "home" for me.  There is nothing more comforting than sitting at that table with my mom.  Making German pancakes on my own, at my house, isn't quite the same.  But it's still comforting and it always makes me think of great weekend mornings with my mom.



German Pancakes:

Ingredients:
3 tbsp Butter (or a little more)
1C Milk
1C Flour
3 Eggs
Dash of salt
Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Put 3 tbsp. butter in 10-12 inch cast iron skillet.  Place skillet in oven while preheating and brown the butter.

Mix milk, flour, eggs and salt in a bowl.  When the butter is browned pour into skillet.  Sprinkle nutmeg on top.

Bake for 15 minutes.  Pancake will puff on with air and create a crust.

Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes.  Cut like a pie and serve with syrup or jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment