Friday, October 18, 2013

Just Say Yes!




This last weekend, as we all know, I spent in California doing all sorts of fun, amazing things for my birthday. I was shocked by how many things I have never done and how many things I was doing for the first time. I was also amazed at how hesitant I was to do something for the first time.  After last weekend I can now say I have had mimosas with lunch, shot a gun, been wine tasting, visited Palm Springs, ate fried pickles and cheese curds and driven a very large truck around Southern California. 

I suppose you could say I am very routine oriented.  I don't like it when my normal routine gets interrupted. I hate it when plans change.  Cancelled plans are okay, but last minute plan changes take me out of my comfort zone and give me anxiety (I guess that's just one more thing to add to the anxiety list). I feel, more and more, like I have a predisposition to say no, especially to things that make me uncomfortable.  I don't know why that is.  At what point did it become easier to say no than to say yes? I saw this quote from Tina Fey and thought "That's awesome. Just say yes and figure it out." Why not?  Usually things work out in the end.  I usually end up having fun when I say yes, even if it's to something that takes me out of my comfort zone.  

I think that I realized that I LOVE doing new things and experiencing things I have never done before.  My problem is that I don't like the feeling of uncertainty that I get when I say yes. My new found love for trying new things may have something to do with who I am experiencing new things with.  When you are with someone who can handle and understand your tendency to say no and then convince you that saying yes would be okay, it makes the experience ten times better.  My new goal is to say yes more often, get outside of my comfort zone and experience as much as I can while I can.  There is no reason to keep saying no. 






1 comment:

  1. I love this post and I love that you are embracing saying YES!! Jeremy and I were talking last night about how often I used to say "I'm fine," when I wasn't...and how much more of a genuine person I am now that I don't say that...saying YES to new things makes you a more exciting, more driven, more amazing person...and is part of why I am friends with you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete