Sunday, October 27, 2013

Come on Over




I always forget how much I love to have people over.

When I was younger, and had a house of my own, I had parties all the time.  Not raging parties.  Come on over for a get together parties.  I kept the refrigerator and liquor cabinet stocked and always offered up my house when there was need for a function.

I love the process of planning a party or event.  I like planning the menu and the decor and what we're going to do.  I love getting out the good dishes and polishing the silver and getting out the crystal.  If it's not that kind of party I love buying paper plates and solo cups and ordering pizza.

Somehow I got out of the habit of entertaining.  I'm sure that happened after I moved into and apartment after my first divorce.  It's harder to entertain in an apartment, but certainly not impossible.  And then when I was in a house again I was married to a man no on liked and no one wanted to hang out with.  That always puts a damper on the entertaining. Even then I would still throw birthday parties and offer to host other peoples birthday parties.  I would have the friends who could handle it over on Friday or Saturday nights.

I love having a full house.  I love feeding people.  I love knowing that I have provided a good time for my friends.  Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays to host because there aren't very many other holidays where the only thing that you are celebrating is being thankful for what you have in front of you.  The goal of Thanksgiving is to eat and be grateful.  There isn't much that is better than that.

There is nothing better to me than a house full of good friends, good food and good wine.  The noise and the bustle is happiness to me. I want to have the house that people stop in just to see you because they know they are always welcome.  I want to have the parties that people always come to because they are so entertaining.

Regardless of where I live I am determined that I am going to entertain more.  I am going to try to get back to the social person that plans parties and hosts events.  Just because it makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment