Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Like a Boss




I've been remiss in my blogging.  At least it seems like it to me.  I realize that the last blog I posted was on Friday but since I wrote it on Tuesday, the last time I actually sat down to write was Wednesday.  So it feels like a long time since I have written anything.  Which sucks.

I got a promotion at work.  Yay me!  It's going to be very challenging, very exciting and very hard.  I have only worked at the new property one day, but since that one day a week ago I have been working on putting out fires and taking care of stuff for that property almost all day every day.

Keep in mind, I'm not complaining.  I asked for this, I thrive in situations where there is always something going on.  I work best under pressure and when people have high expectations of me.  Being bored is a surefire way for me to mess something up.  Since I am a pro at procrastinating I also will put tasks off on purpose just so I can have a bit of pressure while working.


I always forget how exhausting learning new things is.  A lot of work is a lot of work regardless.  But when you are learning new processes, procedures, owners, bosses and employees it's even more exhausting.  I now have two new bosses, seven new employees and two new owners.  I can't remember half of their names on a good day, let alone a day where there are ten fires to put out (funny thing about that, a storage unit at my new property actually caught on fire the other day).

Still not complaining.  I love having seven employees.  I love getting to figure out the nuances and personalities of my new bosses and owners.  I love the challenge that a whole new demographic of residents gives me.

This promotion is a huge opportunity.  It's going to be exhausting and hard and I'm sure that sooner rather than later I am going to be complaining.  Hopefully, I'll somehow find the time between putting out the fires, baseball (which just started in full swing) and everyday life to take out a few minutes more than once a week to blog.  Six paragraphs and I already feel more ready to face the day than I did fifteen minutes ago.  It's kind of like therapy.


Now, I have to go get ready for an owner visit at my new property.  I'm ready for this.  Taking over like a boss.  Oh, wait, I am the boss...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. Swartout.
    My son, Christopher, and your son attend school together at OLL.
    Chris was invited to PJs birthday party tonight (1/24/2014). Unfortunately I do not have an address, and I found your blog by googling your name from a business card of yours that PJ gave my son.

    If you could, please call our family at (360) 256-8964, or email me at jdmcnichol@hotmail.com.

    Thank you,
    John & Jeanna McNichol

    ReplyDelete