Monday, August 4, 2014

You can keep the Maserati. I'll stick with the Toyota.


A few months ago (alright almost a year) I wrote a blog about how it's better to cry in a Maserati than in a Toyota. What a difference a year makes.  As those of you who follow my blog know, I have spent the last eight months in a job that I hate. Hate might be a tame work to what that job was.  It was a pit of negativity and stress.  It was everything that I have never wanted. There was nothing fulfilling about it.  I literally didn't like anything about my job except my staff, and there were even a few of them that I didn't like.  



It seems that I can't go through a year without some sort of turmoil and August 1st seems to be a significant date for me.  I moved back to Portland from Olympia on August 1st, 2011.  Josh and I spent our first vacation together last year on August 1st. And this year August 1st was my last day at the job that I couldn't stand.  



I won't deny it.  I'm kind of freaking out.  Change is hard and scary. I had a job that paid REALLY well.  But it came down to the money or taking care of myself and my family.  I have spent the entire eight months of my employment in this position hating it.  I have gained 20 pounds.  I have neglected my friendships and my personal relationships. I have been so emotionally spent at the end of every day that all I can do is sit in the recliner, drink wine and watch TV.


Today was the first day of unemployment.  It was interesting.  I felt like I should be doing something all day long.  I did all of the laundry and I cleaned out the junk drawer.  I also took PJ to a movie for the first time in almost a year.  And I made dinner.  That was probably the weirdest thing of all.  I. MADE. DINNER.  I don't think that I have made dinner one time since Josh got here six months ago.  I certainly haven't done it on a weeknight.  I love cooking and I love baking and even that fell to the wayside.  



Unemployment is going to be interesting.  I don't plan on staying unemployed.  I plan to get at least a part time job and I am certainly going to go to school full time.  I do plan on taking a few weeks off and I plan on enjoying this time.  I also plan on never doing property management again.  And I plan to never lose sight of what's important in life.  It certainly isn't that Maserati.




No comments:

Post a Comment