Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Average Adult Will Change Jobs 11 Times... Am I At My Limit?



I've been spending a lot of time contemplating a career change.  I've actually been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what that change would be should I decide I want to make the change.

Technically I have had a lot of jobs in my life.  But none of them were careers until I stumbled in to property management five years ago. When you're thirty something spending five years in the same industry means that you feel as though you aren't qualified to do a whole lot else.

Here's the thing.  I don't like property management.  I have spent the last eight, or so, months thinking that I didn't like my job, my property, my owners, or people.  A lot of different things.  But really I just don't like property management. So what do you do when you realize you just don't like the only thing you feel like you're qualified for.



The first thing you do is search Craigslist to get idea.  That's a huge flop.

The second thing you do is get your financial aid for school together and register for fall classes.  So at least there is that.

The third thing you do is make lists of the things you are good at.  (I know I should probably update my resume first but that didn't happen).

So, I'm really good at giving advice.  I'm awesome at managing other people's money.  I like to be around people.  I can type really fast.  I have a great phone voice.  And when needed, I can be a bitch.  A lot of people call me mom because I take care of shit, plus as we all learned here, I give a great mom lecture.

I'm really bad at dealing with people crying at me, whining at me and complaining about their neighbors.  I also don't deal well with unrealistic expectations and I really suck at selling stuff.

I'm not sure where that leaves me exactly, but it sure isn't in property management.  Or sales of any kind.

So if anyone has any good ideas let me know.

Too bad I can't make money travelling, blogging and surfing Pinterest.  That would be heaven.  I guess I'll update my resume and create a LinkedIn account.








No comments:

Post a Comment